Testing Temptations Tuesday

 Staying off social media posed many challenges that I didn't expect going into the week. My desire to let my thumb scroll for hours on end was uncanny and put an ill taste in my mouth. Was I really this addicted? Why was social media my outlet when I procrastinate or let boredom overtake? Some observations I observed throughout the week was when I broke the blackout, it took a few minutes of scrolling for my brain to truly understand what I was doing. Often times, when I scroll through social media I do this aimlessly and with no thoughts. During the time being I was able to resist temptations, I enjoyed being able to focus on myself and the world around me, not a screen. Of course there was a lingering thought in my mind of what others were doing and if I was missing out on anything important but overall, I felt that this blackout made me appreciate the time I have presented in front of me. 

I felt like my productivity increased tremendously. My time management skills felt as though it increased, homework was getting done days ahead, and relationship needs were being met. My time and energy was being put in places that needed it the most. Getting to talk to friends face-to-face, meeting for coffee, or chatting on the phone was that much more special rather than figuring out what my friends were up to through a screen. I would be lying if I said that all of my time was being used for good though. The first few days I noticed that I would gear my time and energy in things such as Netflix, I-phone games, I-messaging, etc. This could be because technology, for many, is an escape from the responsibilities around us. I hope as the days continue on, I will be reminded of what this blackout taught me. I am now more aware of the benefits associated with taking time away from social media. Disconnecting from a screen was like a breathe of fresh air and fulfilled a part of me that I didn't know needed it. 

Partaking in this blackout and creating this blog as served as an outlet for me share my thoughts as the days progressed. Looking back from day 1, I can see first hand the problem I have is one that shouldn't be taken lightly. I am proud of myself for coming to the realization that I need to take a step back and enjoy the world around me. So much more can be done if I take the time to set down my phone and disconnect. 

Comments