Thought Provoking Thursday

Social media plays a prominent role in my life. As a 21-year-old, social media holds various benefits to me.
Social media is an outlet for networking professionally, sharing photos, posting random thoughts, and
communicating with friends. I generally find myself using it as an escape from reality, whether that is when
I am bored, putting off work, or heading to bed. Like I mentioned in Entry 1, my Instagram
(and just about everyone else's) is a highlight reel.
I will put out photos that make it seem like my life is put together
with sunshine and rainbows. As hard as it is to admit, I do post with the thoughts lurking in my
mind if my "followers" would like this
or is it "cute enough" to post. Writing this entry and participating in this
blackout encourages me to be my authentic self and use my platform to show others they do not need
to follow what society depicts in our minds. I would say that social media is a habit in my life. I find myself
gravitating towards it when I probably shouldn't, such as when I am procrastinating or just hanging out.
Oftentimes at the end of the day, I think back on how much time I wasted away scrolling my thumb on a
small screen. What did I gain from doing that? Nothing. Do I continue to do it every day still? Yes.
I find myself using it the most when I am putting off something important, such as homework. This is when
social media becomes a bad habit, as it is interfering with my academics. As I get older, I have started to turn
off my social media notifications in hopes of cutting down my screen time. While this doesn't eliminate the
problem completely, it does help reduce the amount of time I spend on it per day.  
Explain

Comments