Teachable Thursday
No one tells you the effects social media has on you. The addictiveness it enacts, the unrealistic expectations it portrays, and the urge to be someone who you are not. Though this may not be the case for all, it is commonly seen in teenagers and young adults in today's society. As a college student, social media is found in a multitude of areas throughout my life. It is used to network professionally, stay in touch with friends and family far away, relay information for organizations, the list could go on and on. Though there are many benefits to social media and its usage, there are also a vast amount of cons that come from partaking in social media. Through the first-hand experience of fasting social media, I will use my research to see if the cons of social media outweigh the benefits.
After carefully looking at my social media profiles (Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat), I have concluded that they display only the highlight reels of my life. Each of my profiles does not display the bags under my eyes from lack of sleep, the tears that have been wiped away from stress, or the imperfections in my skin. I have fallen into the social media trap. I spend time that could be devoted elsewhere analyzing my photographs in great detail prior to posting, making sure I uphold the unrealistic expectation that ever lingers in my mind. This idealized person that I have configured in my head comes as a direct result of the way I view and see others on social media.
Personally, I do not believe social media has affected my face-to-face communication but I cannot say the same for others. As a Communication Studies major, I strive each day to better my communication skills and give effective clear messages. Social media has not been how I communicate with others, rather I utilize it as a way to share memories. For people, such as my friends, it is apparent that they spend most of their time behind a screen. The ability for many my age to communicate effectively and in person is a daunting task that many would rather type out and send. I think fasting from social media will present its challenges but it will enable me to get more work done, practice self-care, and hopefully instill a mindset in me that I can go without it.
Comments
Post a Comment